Wednesday 8 May 2013

NY panels back in St Ives




At last I am pleased to announce that after an absence of almost two years, four panels from the installation ’ Where Their Footsteps left No Trace ‘ have at last arrived safely back from St Peter’s Church near Ground Zero, New York.  I’m told they had a profound effect on the many thousands who visited the church during that time. As mentioned in an earlier blog, the fifth panel ( 9/11 ) is now part of the permanent collection of the National September 11th Memorial Museum at the World Trade Centre.

As mentioned in my previous blog, Hurricane Sandy scuttled my plans to go across and repack the panels and get them from the church basement to the shippers in New Jersey so I had to leave it to them to organise it. More delays ensued as New York truckers will only pick up from the kerbside and not basements. As expected, only one thing would resolve this impasse - money ( lots of it! ). 

When the crate finally got to my shipping agents in Exeter the term trucker took on a whole new meaning when Dennis Oates, well know St Ives trucking and tour bus operator heard the story and said “we’ll get them back to his studio for him”  So a few days ago a 40 ton truck turned up at the end of our narrow road and did just that.  The story was well covered in the local press as Dennis had spent his childhood years living in the Battery building on the Island at St Ives which for twenty years and until recently was my studio  and where the panels were made. There’s more to the story which can be found on my website www.evilution-project.com    



I have now renamed the Coventry, Dresden and Hiroshima panels ‘The Reconciliation Triptych’ and the Auschwitz panel ‘Holocaust’. Talks are at present underway about their future and I hope to be able to tell you more in my next blog. 




No comments:

Post a Comment